When we got to Rila, I can see the shift in energy from the group. Less engaged. Some were maintaining but there were a handful of people that matched my energy where gravity naturally pulled us together. I was less attentive, staying on the outskirts, observing the architecture, visitors and coincidentally Iliana Lotova was there, the President of Bulgaria. Unlike U.S. Presidents, her security detail was modest but protective of their person.
It was a much chillier day, so I opted to stay in the sun within the courtyard grounds of the monastery as much as possible, present but not attentive to the lectures our guide was providing. Inside the church, which was at the center of the courtyard, the exterior walls were adorned with frescoes telling the stories of Bulgarian history. Inside, a very similar feel, with a much larger space than Rozhen Monastery. I opted not to visit the museum because of the chill and my short attention span, so a small group of us went to the bakery just outside the monastery.
We spotted a donut spot that made the most amazing donuts I’ve ever had! As we were chowing down on donuts and sipping our coffees, the president and her detail walked past us and entered the restaurant next to us. This could never happen in the U.S. That's what I kept telling myself. What a privilege it was to have this experience and to have someone like the president in our vicinity. So unreal.
After some time soaking up the sun's warmth, we headed to the entrance to meet our group and await our bus. There was comfort on the trek back because we were heading back to the Hilton Sofia. A place that was familiar and comforting to all of us. We would have a little time to rest before our meet-up for dinner. I opted to walk through Sofia on my own. The solitude was therapeutic in a way, but also a confirmation of how much I needed familiarity to sustain me. I spoke with my sisters on the way to the restaurant. Stopping in a Bulgarian souvenir shop to pick up rose-scented candles, lotions, and oils for my family. What was really wonderful to learn is that Rose scents originate mostly from Bulgaria. They are one of the largest distributors of Rose oils, which are used to make many of the perfumes and cosmetics around the world. The one I've been using for the last 15 years is Rose31 by Le Labo. It's been my favorite scent since my visit to the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island. The hotel used this scent in their soaps and shampoos, and that is when I knew I needed to have it all the time.
Back to Bulgaria.
Dinner was at a unique spot with a very diverse menu called Burrata. It had a variety of Asian and Italian dishes. The ambiance was beautiful and very floral. Leo and I decided to share most of our meals so we can try more things. What I noticed with Leo, is that he likes his desserts. Which is great! I normally love to partake in desserts too but I'm learning the skill of restraint in my old age 😂. After our meal, a few of us decided to cab it a little early back to the hotel. Our usual three - Courtney, Leo and I. and Liv and Kat also came back early. Our last day together was fast approaching but sleep was calling for us to enter its chamber.
No comments:
Post a Comment