Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Being burned

I was asked today how to get over being burned. I was burned when the man I was engaged with revealed a dirty secret. I thought we could overcome it but it never happened. After we broke it off I was literally sickened when approached by men. It took four months to get over that and in that time I reevaluated what I valued in a healthy relationship. So I strove to change the way I approached the next relationship and how I viewed it and my value in it. When I met someone who didn't make me throw up, I thought it was time to put the plan to action and the distance between us allowed me to adjust without showing my anguish in the transition. My previously crazy outburst to express my disagreements were now done quietly and privately without the crazy. I was changing myself to relinquish the fear of being hurt and to trust in my ability to overcome anything. I taught myself to live in the moment of happiness without worrying about the 'what ifs' of being heart broken. I allowed myself to trust others by allowing what I normally wouldn't be comfortable with. When I did, I was surprised to have not been let down that eventually grew my trust in him enough to call him my husband. It was refreshing and I loved the new me because I knew that trusting him was the best thing I could do for us and it made me more confident in myself. I don't dwell on what if because I know no matter what, I'll be okay. I wish all of you happiness and want you to know living in the moment is swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment