Wednesday, March 7, 2012

To help or not to help.


My sister told me of this movement that has been going on called Kony 2012. Anyone will tell you that I'm already a believer in supporting a good cause and although I am not 100% on current events, I do know of many things going on in the world. I knew of Kony and I knew what was happening in Uganda.   But like many Americans, if it isn't in front of us, we quickly forget about it. That's what I did. I forgot.
There are many arguments against helping and many agreements to help. No one is right or wrong. That is what's great about our country, we can all agree to disagree and no one should ever hold that against you.

These are my thoughts on this situation and others. You don't have to agree with me but I have listened to the arguments and I believe the right thing to do is to help.

I have been told that one argument is forcing our military to help in another country's problem. I've heard the argument that we should focus our money in America instead of sending it to another country. What about the other country's that need it, China, Columbia, Haiti, Russia and the list goes on. All very good arguments.

Here are my thoughts.

American soldiers joined the military knowing that they may be sent off to any assignment to fight. We as Americans believe that our troops are fighting for our freedom and that is exactly what they are doing. But there are times, many times, where our troops are sent to countries to fight for freedom that may not be America's fight. It might be a Ugandan fight. It might be Vietnamese. Whatever the cause is, OUR troops are doing something amazing for the human race and the human race includes Americans. They may not be fighting for us, but they are. People may not agree. They may call it forced, but does anyone truly want to hold a gun and aim at a person. No. They are "forced" because it is their job. So why not send 100 people to Uganda to find the number one international criminal. What if Joseph Kony decides to target Americans in Uganda. Do we then fight because an American is involved? Why wait, why not act now? My little brother has joined the military and my brother in law has served two tours (I think). There are many that I know that have been in that position and I know that if it was the right thing to do, they would do it.

On contributing funds to the Kony 2012 cause. Your $5 can help their cause. If you want to take it a step further buy a shirt for $25 or even more $30 will give you a shirt and a kit to help spread the word. Does any of these amounts truly hurt the working average American. It does not. You might say we should concentrate on our own country, but what many fail to see is that Americans live in luxury. Our standard of living is much higher than anyone outside of America. We live in three bedroom homes with a bed for each person. Sleeping on floors or on top of other people isn't normal in our culture. In Uganda, that's the only option they have, especially to keep safe from Joseph Kony. Families cram inside a building, children laying on top of their parents, row by row, next to other families all trying to keep their children safe from being stolen and enslaved to kill or daughters who are used for sex. If it was Phyre, Phoenix or Phantom, there would be no question to the extent I would go in finding the person who would hurt my children. Imagine if it was your child. . . but you don't have to imagine because it will never happen to you. We don't live in a world where children are stolen to kill people or raped by soldiers. We even have the luxury of sending our children to school. So we spend $5 for a cause that will help a horrible man get captured. You can donate it, know you've done something to help, and then go about your day. These people in Uganda, they have to think of the fear ever second of their lives.

What about the other countries. If you are like me, you probably walk by a girl scout table and buy cookies just to help them. Or donate a dollar at the register for SPCA. Whatever the cause is, I'm willing to help. There are things in our power to help. Right now, what is in all of our power, is raising awareness to find the number one international criminal because we are being empowered to do so with the help of Jason Russel and the Invisible Children. If you watch the video, and you still feel that it isn't a worthy cause, no worries. There is no reason for you to do anything more. No one will say otherwise. But if after you view the video (you can click on Jason Russel's name to view video), you want to help go to the website and purchase a bracelet or get the kit.

Whatever your choice is, it's the right one for you. My choice is to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment